Premium members do not see any ads! Click here to learn more.

Type 54 License question. Application/Interview

Ry07

Hey all,
First post here with you.
Just an enthusiast & I am applying for my Type 54 license by March. Always had a love for fireworks since I was younger. I live here in Florida, and I had a few questions regarding the application process and interview if anyone wouldn't mind chiming in.
Thank you in advance!

1)On the application, why is the business name under me vs a non business? (Does that have an effect on getting approved?

*During interview: do you need to have a job with pyrotechnics or clubs to get approved?

During interview: asks where I'll shoot what to say? ( I would only shoot on the 4th of July and the 1st of the year )

On inspection of mag: Do I have to write where it was shot off at/ show proof I had approval from the local fire Marshall?

Regulations to study that I could be asked about?

Any trick questions I could be asked, or is it pretty straight forward?

Thank you very much for your time by the way.

Unless you have a pyro business at another address just use your home address. Don't worry about the how's and why's.

You don't need any pyro experience to get a type 54. They don't ask for a resume or test you.

They don't normally ask where or when you shoot on the initial interview. Local AHJ's like a fire marshal are the ones who regulate the use of 1.3 fireworks.

It's mostly an informational interview. Not a test

They are mainly concerned with you understanding storage and record keeping regulations. They are happy to answer questions if you are unsure of those regulations.

Overall it's a painless easy experience.

Here's a link to the things they want you to know.

Best free resource on You Tube, he’s long winded, but he explained his mistakes and he is correct.

Get your orange book, read it and know it!

ATF Orange book is currently $10.95 on Amazon.

Those ATF inspectors do prefer the hard copy on hand, good idea to keep it with your inventory list in or near your magazine.

Makes for an easier inspection, for the most part those guys like details and going above and beyond for safety scores points with them.

Good Luck, don’t be nervous, at the heart of this system, they just want to protect the public from reckless individuals. So details, safety, and planning are the key.

Detailed inventory sheets are a big thing. That’s were most mistakes and fines occur.

I just had my renewal- My inspector was not going to allow another 54(who owned storage) to give the a contingency letter, because I could give him product, he couldn't give it back to me since he didn't have a dealers/importers/manufactures license. Up till now there wasn't a problem- times are changing, I did ask her for clarification, we will see.

I've had some sort of Federal License since 84- they are always nice. DON'T SCREW WITH THEM! You don't want to see agents because they will have FBI in hand with them. They are professional(at least the ones I always had have been).

I can remember this line from my first inspection. "We are not worried about the ones trying to be legal, We want the ones who have no intention of being legal!".

I just had my renewal- My inspector was not going to allow another 54(who owned storage) to give the a contingency letter, because I could give him product, he couldn't give it back to me since he didn't have a dealers/importers/manufactures license.

That's technically the correct ruling although it hasn't been followed in the past. The actual definition of "contingency storage" is for someone else to "temporarily" store your product meaning at some point they would have to transfer said product back to you. While there is nothing against the rules for you to transfer them to him/her every time and they keep them forever, that's not following the "rules" of "contingency storage".

Those ATF inspectors do prefer the hard copy on hand, good idea to keep it with your inventory list in or near your magazine.

Every permittee receives a copy of the latest version of the Orange Book when receiving their permit so there's no sense buying one in my opinion. For quick informational purposes, a free PDF version to "brush up on" is perfectly acceptable.

Regulations to study that I could be asked about?

There are a few questions they are going to ask that it does matter what your answers are:

1) Why are you seeking a permit? As long as your answer isn't "so I can sell illegal fireworks" whatever the truthful answer is will suffice.

2) What are you going to do about storage?

3) What are your local laws and how are you going to comply? Yes, that is becoming asked more and more frequently because there is a box on the application you checked saying you will abide by all local and state laws. They are most likely going to ask especially if you live in a "non-friendly" pyro state.

Other than that, the rest of the interview will mostly be focused on your understanding of the responsibilities you're taking on by "getting licensed" and a whatever amount of "chit chat" they feel like putting in to make sure their day doesn't end too early where they might have to go back to the office that day lol.

Also, whatever you do avoid displayfireworks1 advice concerning getting your ATF type 54 and do not buy his video about how to get a 54. It's a waste of money and an incomplete guide that does not cover how to legally shoot 1.3 fireworks. If you dare question him you will be met with a rude response or you will be banned from his website.

I just had my renewal- My inspector was not going to allow another 54(who owned storage) to give the a contingency letter, because I could give him product, he couldn't give it back to me since he didn't have a dealers/importers/manufactures license. Up till now there wasn't a problem- times are changing, I did ask her for clarification, we will see.

I've had some sort of Federal License since 84- they are always nice. DON'T SCREW WITH THEM! You don't want to see agents because they will have FBI in hand with them. They are professional(at least the ones I always had have been).

I can remember this line from my first inspection. "We are not worried about the ones trying to be legal, We want the ones who have no intention of being legal!".
Did the ATF reply back to you question? I also am asking, if a person who has a type 4 indoor approve magazine give me a contingency letter to renew my 54 ? I haven't read any details on this, or I missed it.

Back