Premium members do not see any ads! Click here to learn more.

I call it my "Cake Rack"

tradami

To start I want to mention that my shoot site is also my storage site.

Each year I'll have about 12 - 4'x4' boards with cakes for 3 stations. I typically sort the cakes by module and then on the day of the show, I layout the boards and then arrange the cakes and plug them in.

I wanted to come up with a solution that let me prep the cakes ahead of time. One problem I had was I couldn't stack the sheets with cakes on them due to varying sizes. These are a couple ideas I came up with. The sheets of plywood would be able to slide out for placement on the field already connected and ready to go. I typically have a skidsteer available for me to use as well. I plan on adding tarps to the sides of the shelving so cakes dont fall out and to keep weight down.

If you are not looking for water resistance you might consider using snow fence to wrap it instead of a tarp, cheaper and you can cut it to length. Other benefit is you can see through the snow fence.

Chris Stasey had some boards with large bore pvc pipe as vertical spacers at the corners. You would cut the pipe a little longer than the tallest cakes you would ever use. Maybe he will chime in on the fabrication details.

If you are not looking for water resistance you might consider using snow fence to wrap it instead of a tarp, cheaper and you can cut it to length. Other benefit is you can see through the snow fence.
Oooh I love this idea!

This is what I did last year. We made 10 identical pallets 4'X5'. We built corner supports (4X4's the length of your tallest cake with 2-2"x6" corners 6" longer and fastened to the 4"x4". One in each corner after cakes are secured and wired with a shipping strap around the 4x4'S. We stacked them 5 high last year fully ready to wire to the firing system. TCake Rack 2019.jpghis year had a problem with buying taller cakes and had to modify. In the off season they stack on top of each other with the corners layered on top, mortar racks on top of them and one neat stack. We carry them to the field stacked in two's. Night before wire them up, day of, take to the field and can be ready to shoot in less than an hour.

This is what I did last year. We made 10 identical pallets 4'X5'. We built corner supports (4X4's the length of your tallest cake with 2-2"x6" corners 6" longer and fastened to the 4"x4". One in each corner after cakes are secured and wired with a shipping strap around the 4x4'S. We stacked them 5 high last year fully ready to wire to the firing system. This year had a problem with buying taller cakes and had to modify. In the off season they stack on top of each other with the corners layered on top, mortar racks on top of them and one neat stack. We carry them to the field stacked in two's. Night before wire them up, day of, take to the field and can be ready to shoot in less than an hour.

Nice! I plan on just using my shelf as a permanent structure and using a skidsteer to carry the whole shelf to the field then each board would slide out of the rack ready to shoot without any plugging.

Here's what it looks like. Left, middle, right stations. Each board is a cobra mod. Extra storage on top. Might need to add more support for front side but sag isn't too bad.

Attachments

• 20190602_170920.jpg
    20190602_170920.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 66
Looks good. If you add one board across the middle it would take the sag out of each board and make it a bit more stable.

Looks good. If you add one board across the middle it would take the sag out of each board and make it a bit more stable.
I considered that. But I measured the spacing for a NOAB and if I add a board it will conflict. I'll wait and see how it holds up

damn is that a forklift I see in one of those pictures?

man that would be awesome if my shoot site had a garage with a forklift. even a small garage where I could build boards on site would be awesome

I'm definitely jealous

Back