Premium members do not see any ads! Click here to learn more.

2020 MAFF "Backyard Battle" Competition

coachtimmyj

Staff Member
We will once again have our "Backyard Battle" 1.4g Consumer Fireworks pyro-musical competition. Last year's even was a huge success so we definitely wanted to bring this back again. Here's how it works:

Each team will be given a list of product to choose from for up to 20 cases of product donated by one of the four fireworks manufacturers who are sponsoring the event. We will announce the sponsors once we know the teams. The product will consist entirely of UN0336 Consumer Fireworks (no proline) with little modification allowed (part of the idea is to show what can be done with consumer fireworks purchased at the local tent/store).

The NLPC will supply the ematch needed for each display. We can also help out with firing equipment if necessary. We will NOT be able to supply consumer mortar racks though so each team will be responsible for supplying them if they choose to have shells in their display.

Each display will be limited to 5 minutes and soundtrack must be turned in to Tim for approval (mostly just to make sure you're not over 5 minutes and to ensure it is "family friendly"). More details about this will be given to each competitor once chosen.

Those interested in competing should either post here or sent Tim a PM to get an "application". As far as how we will chose the competitors, please do not feel as though you need to be a "seasoned vet" or "professional" to compete. The application process is simply to allow more folks to express interest in getting involved. We felt just giving it "first come, first serve" might not have been the most fair way to do it last year. The whole idea behind this competition is to get folks involved who might feel a little intimidated in doing a show at MAFF as a "main display", so let's hear who wants a shot at this :)

Ideally how many teams will be competing?
Is there a limit to the number of people that can be on a team?

Ideally how many teams will be competing?
Is there a limit to the number of people that can be on a team?

There will be (4) teams. No real limit on how many people can be on a team especially since we would prefer the teams to be done comfortably. Product will be on hand by Friday so can be prepped on Friday and landed in the field on Saturday fairly easily.

20 cases, 5 mins almost leaves enough product for a decent finale. Lol, or is it a 2 mile wide front?

The area used for the competition is approximately 400' wide so yes, there is plenty of product for a 5 minute show.

Thanks Tim.

I'm going to see if I can prod the brothers, Joe and Jared in to applying.

That would be awesome, I would love to see what those two would put together. They come down every year, jump in somewhere, and bust their asses, the whole time with a smile on their faces. Would love to see them get the opportunity to put on a show. I think they would do a great job. I remember Joe's first trip down here like it was yesterday. It was Friday night, the event was still being held here at my place, at it was just a handful of us hanging out in the barn swapping stories. You could tell, even though we were all laughing and carrying on, that Joe was taking it all in (and keeping notes). I could tell that night the guy was in love with this shit, you could see it in his eyes.

I so wish there was 2 of me...... then again I have a Jr..... I am just crazy bust with life. 60 years old and a 12 year old son does not help either. I so would love to do this up too.

That would be awesome, I would love to see what those two would put together. They come down every year, jump in somewhere, and bust their asses, the whole time with a smile on their faces. Would love to see them get the opportunity to put on a show. I think they would do a great job. I remember Joe's first trip down here like it was yesterday. It was Friday night, the event was still being held here at my place, at it was just a handful of us hanging out in the barn swapping stories. You could tell, even though we were all laughing and carrying on, that Joe was taking it all in (and keeping notes). I could tell that night the guy was in love with this shit, you could see it in his eyes.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I've been fortunate to have Jared as part of my crew for the past couple years so I'd love to get a chance to crew for him and Joe.

Deadline for submitting names for possible entry is this weekend so if you're still thinking of throwing your name in the hat for this, now is the time to do it as we will pick the teams and match them with their sponsors this weekend.

Deadline for submitting names for possible entry is this weekend so if you're still thinking of throwing your name in the hat for this, now is the time to do it as we will pick the teams and match them with their sponsors this weekend.
Approximately when will the teams picked find out if they made the cut?

Approximately when will the teams picked find out if they made the cut?

Sorry, competitors will be announced tomorrow. Had a problem with one of the sponsors and had to work out some details before we picked things. Tough year for manufacturers this year so trying to make everything work logistically is proving challenging, but rest assured, we are working through things :)

Looks like I have to pull my name out of the list of possible competitors. We have a family medical issue that is being addressed at this moment. My brother-in-law caught something that got him admitted to the hospital today. We're concerned because he does suffer from other medical issues and this bug is attacking his already diminished immune system. Haven't heard from the doctors yet regarding blood tests.
He owns a local business that needs to be overseen for the time being.

I wish this competition would've gone smoother earlier for Tim and crew to get set-up but with all the issues facing China, factories and firework company's, I understand the difficulties involved.
I will probably still attend M.A.F.F. I just can't tie up my free time at this moment.

Last edited:
Back